Thursday, October 20, 2011

Social Peer Pressure

I had to giggle as I walked into school the other day. I was wearing a white top, white leggings, and a jean skirt. To top it off, a bright orange vest, tie, and beanie.
People stand in their cream lacy tops and cargo boots. At first I thought, "Yeah, they probably think I look crazy." But it seems like something else.

Wishing they could wear this?

"But," I thought, "They can."
Can they?
No.
Because they have done something. They have given into social peer pressure.
Why do they do it? I honestly wonder. Why do you have to care so much? I hate it when people can't be true to themselves. They're scared. Of what? Their friends not liking them.
But why be friends with them in the first place? You should be friends with someone not because they like your clothes or your car. You should be friends with someone because they like your personality. Because they genuinely care about you.
That's why I don't care what I wear. That's why I don't wear make-up. I wear what I wear because I like it. If someone doesn't like that, or doesn't like me as a result, then I just don't care.
I don't want to be around people that I feel I have to impress. I want to be around people who make me smile and feel good.
It's like I said in a text the other day,

"Who gave them the status of "popularity" anyway? When it all comes down to it, aren't we all just teenagers who worry about zits? We're all on the same journey, and we're all sons and daughters of God, our time would be better spent helping each other than worrying about if they like our outfits."

2 comments:

Nick Walton said...

Sort of like how I don't care if I wear dark lame sweaters all the time *cough cough* haha

Sariah said...

You know this was really helpful, I've had to get away from some friends because they don't appreciate who I am, they expected me to change into what they wanted me to be.

But recently I met a new group of friends, who have helped me a lot, appreciated who I am, and now I feel like I'm going in the right direction. The direction that I want to go.